top of page

Helpful Articles

Frequently Asked Questions...

At some point in life, most people have unexpected stressors that can be significantly reduced by sharing them with a professional therapist.

Problems in living might include: job stress/ communication barriers/ parenting/ child behavior/ relationship difficulties/ grief and loss/ anxiety/ depressions/ physical, sexual or emotional abuse/ social isolation/ physical health concerns/ anger managment/ transitions/ lack of meaningfulness/ substance abuse/ addictive behaviors/ traumatic events.

When problems in daily living create psychological stress, Counseling and Mediation Professionals can help you develop individualized solutions appropriate to your concerns.

Paperwork can be downloaded and printed from this website to expedite the first visit. Or, if you would rather complete the paperwork in the waiting room, that option is also available. Insurance and fees are discussed with the secretarial staff and co-pays are collected by cash, check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover.

When you enter the therapist's office, you are free to discuss with as much, or as little, detail as you wish to disclose. To help therapists fully understand your situation, and remember important details about your concerns, they ask questions and take notes. Once you have expressed your concerns, you and the therapist will begin working together to develop a treatment plan that best helps you resolve the issues causing stress in your life. The frequency of your visits will be discussed, and your next appointment will be scheduled.

Confidentiality is the right of the client and it is the client's expectation that therapy conversations remain private. With persons 18 years and older, therapeutic conversations are not released to anyone without the client's written consent. Information regarding minors is not released without written consent of parents or legal guardians.

Exceptions to confidentiality are:

1. reporting diagnosis and dates of sessions for insurance reimbursement

2. court-ordered testimony

3. child abuse or neglect

4. duty to warn of serious, imminent danger


HIPAA notice PhD.pdf (PDF — 45 KB)


HIPAA notice LCSW.pdf (PDF — 53 KB)


HIPAA notice LPC.pdf (PDF — 71 KB)

Most insurance companies provide some sort of mental health benefits. The level of coverage depends on your plan.

Please call the member services number on your insurance card and ask for your outpatient mental health care benefits (in an office setting). The representative will tell you what will be covered.

1. Is my chosen therapist in network? (If you know which therapist you would like to see already, please make sure that they are in network with your insurance.)

2. Do I have a deductible for outpatient mental healthcare ? If so how much is it/ how much has been met?

3. What is my co-pay/ co-insurance?

4. How many visits will be covered per year?

5. Is family or marital counseling covered? (if either are applicable)

6. Is authorization required for me to see a therapist?

If your plan requires an authorization be sure to obtain one before your first visit or they will not cover it.

You may also have the option to have a set number of sessions paid for by your employer. Many people do not realize their employer offers this benefit called an Employee Assistance Program or EAP.

Psychologists, clinical social workers and counselors are not licensed to prescribe medications. When you and your therapist believe psychotropic medication is necessary, therapists advise you to consult with your medical doctor. With your written consent, therapists sometimes consult with physicians on your behalf, or they may refer you for medication consultation with a psychiatrist.

Psychologists complete master's degrees and a program of doctoral study specified by the American Psychological Association, which typically takes 3 to 4 additional years. They complete a doctoral degree (Ph.D., Psy.D. or Ed.D.). In the state of Oklahoma, all psychologists complete a one-year internship and work an additional year under supervision before taking a national licensing examination. After passing a national licensing examination, oral examination, and jurisprudence examination, psychologists are granted a license to practice psychology. Psychologists are trained in both the diagnosis and treatment of psychological problems, but they do not prescribe medications. They are trained in a wide variety of psychotherapy and counseling techniques, psychological testing and evaluation, and provide services for clients of all ages.

Licensed clinical social workers complete a two-year master's degree program in social work and then two years of supervised practice before practicing independently. They must pass national examinations and are granted a license to practice clinical social work. Licensed clinical social workers are trained in psychotherapy and counseling methods. Some licensed clinical social workers complete additional training and certifications in mediation, play therapy, and alcohol and substance abuse counseling.

Licensed professional counselors typically complete a one year master's degree in counseling and guidance or human relations and practice under supervision before taking a licensed professional counselor examination. They are trained in counseling methods and work in both schools and mental health settings.

bottom of page